Wednesday, October 12, 2011

My Review of Showers Pass Club Convertible Bike Pants - Men's

Originally submitted at REI

A commuter's best friend, these Showers Pass Club Convertible pants seal out the weather. They're also breathable and can be converted to knickers when the ride home turns warm.


Pertty good rain pants for commuters

By Doryman from Seattle, WA on 10/12/2011

 

3out of 5

Waist: Feels true to size

Length: Feels true to length

Pros: Dries Quickly, Breathable, Warm, Comfortable

Cons: Zippers on pockets poke, Chafes

Best Uses: Road Biking, Commuting, Wet Weather

Describe Yourself: Avid Cyclist

Was this a gift?: No

I bought these pants to use for commuting here in Seattle. The first thing I noticed after taking a short ride was that the zipper pulls poked me in the fold of material at the waist when I bend over on the drops. The solution is for Showers pass to turn the zippers around so that when they are closed the pulls are at the bottom. Until they do that, I've elected to keep the pants but open the pocket about 2 inches so that the zipper pull is down a bit farther.

I've ridden in these pants for only about a week, but it's fall so I've had all kinds of weather. Warm/wet (high 60's) they are a bit warm, so unless its pouring I'm not bothering. I did try riding with the legs zipped off in "mist", but my socks were soaked by the time I got to work (water rolled down my leg into my neoprene booties) and I was still too hot. Then next day the temperature dropped to the 50's and it hailed, poured, blew sideways and I rode for about a 1/2hr in that mess. I was damp inside of the pants from my own sweat (I have hills on my route) but way less wet than I would have been without them. The legs are long enough to go over the top of my booties so no water ran in that way.

I've got a air horn air bottle mounted on the top bar and the bit of reflective tape on the pants just below the knee hit it on each stroke which was a bit irritating. These pants are a bit baggy on the lower leg. They are heavier than carrying a plain coated pants so when I think it only "might rain" they will get left home.

I have the Showers Pass Roadie pants as well, and they are not as waterproof as these, but then those breath better too.

I gave these 3 stars, for 1) installing the zippers upside down, 2) being too baggy around the lower leg. (I ride for 16 miles/1.5 hrs c/ rolling hills on my way to work) But recognize I have yet to find the "perfect" rain gear for bicycling.

(legalese)

No comments:

Post a Comment