Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Summer Reading

This summer I was given a copy of "Miles from Nowhere: A Round the World Bicycle Adventure." by Barbara Savage. I had never heard of this book before but I am an armchair adventurer and so I read it. It's a wonderful travelog of a pair of crazy kids who "rode" around the world. Now obviously that includes some flying, ferries etc, but they took their bikes in 1979-1980 all across the world. And rode places, I now have no desire ever to visit! OMG bugs, mud, poverty etc. Who really wants to deal with that? With my college roommate in '79 we rode across the USA. Now of course for these two, they didn't stop. We did because a) we ran out of money, and b) civilization was calling. One has a hard time justifying going to college and then becoming a travel bum so we returned home and joined the 9-5 crowd. (ugh)

It's not the only book on riding around the world, I have also read Ultimate High: My Everest Odyssey by Goran Kropp and that's another amazing journey.

There is also Full Tilt by Dervla Murphy who in 1963 rode from Ireland to India, I think all the way to the Nepal border.

All good adventure on a bicycle reads!

No comments:

Post a Comment